41. Question : Which four-step process correctly describes muscle contraction?
42. Question : Adoption studies have shown that the offspring of an alcoholic parent when raised by nonalcoholic parents have what amount of an increased risk of developing alcoholism?
43. Question : Which hormone stimulates gonads to produce both male and female hormones?
44. Question : A person with 47, XXY karyotype has the genetic disorder resulting in which syndrome?
45. Question : Which would be considered a positive symptom of schizophrenia?
46. Question : What term describes the loss of the comprehension or production of language?
47. Question : Consanguinity refers to the mating of persons:
48. Question : The major sleep center is located in which section of the brain?
49. Question : Which type of ion directly controls the contraction of muscles?
50. Question : Bacteria gain access to the female urinary tract by which means?
51. Question : A criterion for a diagnosis of generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) is a period of excessive worrying that lasts for at least how many months?
52. Question : What is the first indication of nephrotic syndrome in children?
53. Question : An amniocentesis indicates a neural tube defect when an increase in which protein is evident?
54. Question : What is the risk for the recurrence of autosomal dominant diseases?
55. Question : Which term is used to identify the temporary displacement of two bones causing the bone surfaces to partially lose contact?
56. Question : The tear in a ligament is referred to as a:
57. Question : Why is prolonged diarrhea more severe in children than it is in adults?
58. Question : The BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations increase the risk of which cancer in women?
59. Question : Insulin transports which electrolyte in the cell?
60. Question : What term is used to identify an interlacing bundle of dense, white fibrous tissue that is richly supplied with nerves, blood vessels, and lymphatic vessels?
61. Question : Which of the following is a lipid-soluble hormone?
62. Question : The mucosal secretions of the cervix secrete which immunoglobulin?
63. Question : The sudden apparent arousal in which a child expresses intense fear or another strong emotion while still in a sleep state characterizes which sleep disorder?
64. Question : What is the basic structural unit in compact bone?
65. Question : Parkinson disease is a degenerative disorder of the brain’s:
66. Question : Which pain theory proposes that a balance of impulses conducted from the spinal cord to the higher centers in the central nervous system (CNS) modulates the transmission of pain?
67. Question : Saliva contains which immunoglobulin (Ig)?
68. Question : What type of fracture occurs at a site of a preexisting bone abnormality and is a result of a force that would not normally cause a fracture?
69. Question : An infant suddenly develops abdominal pain, becomes irritable (colicky), and draws up the knees. Vomiting occurs soon afterward. The mother reports that the infant passed a normal stool, followed by one that looked like currant jelly. Based on these data, which disorder does the nurse suspect?
70. Question : In 95% of children of delayed puberty, the problem is caused by:
71. Question : Which characteristic is true of type II (white fast-motor) muscle fibers?
72. Question : Neurofibrillary tangles characterize which neurologic disorder?
73. Question : Which hormone triggers uterine contractions?
74. Question : How does the release (increase) of epinephrine raise body temperature?
75. Question : Which hormone is linked to an increase in appetite during puberty?