Sci 228 Nutrition Health And Wellness Week 4 Midterm Exam Devry
SCI 228 Nutrition Health & Wellness
Elevate Your Writing with Our Free Writing Tools!
Did you know that we provide a free essay and speech generator, plagiarism checker, summarizer, paraphraser, and other writing tools for free?Access Free Writing Tools
Week 4 Midterm Exam:
1. Which of the following BEST describes minerals?
Answer; Inorganic micronutrients found in variety of foods
2. The two overarching goals of ________ are to increase quality and years of healthy life and to eliminate health disparities.
Answer; Healthy people
3. What element makes protein different from carbohydrate and fat?
Answer; Presence of nitrogen, carbon, hydrogen and oxygen
4. For dinner, Bill consumes 255 grams of carbohydrate, 70 grams of protein, and 50 grams of fat. In addition, Bill decides that he wants a glass of wine with his meal. If he drinks one glass of wine containing 8 grams of alcohol, how many total kilocalories does he consume in this meal?
5. Jose’s lunch contains 121 grams of carbohydrate, 40 grams of protein, and 25 grams of fat. What percent of kilocalories in this meal come from fat?
6. Which of the following is an example of disease that is directly caused by a nutritional deficiency?
7. Which of the following snacks will have the highest satiety value, assuming the calories and relative size are similar?
Answer; Piece of cheddar cheese
8. The percent daily values (%DV) on food labels are based on the:
Answer; Nutrients to consume or not to exceed each day
9. The government agency that regulates food labeling in the United States is the:
10. The standard used to estimate the daily nutrient needs of half of all healthy individuals is:
Answer; Estimated standard requirement
11. The smallest units of matter that normally cannot be broken down are:
12. The Dietary Guidelines to Americans has defined physically active as a:
Answer; Engage in 60 to 90 minutes per day of moderate-intensity exercise without exceeding calorie consumption.
13. In which organ does the majority of water absorption occur?
Answer; Proximal small intestine
14. Which of the following would be an appropriate treatment approach for someone suffering from GERD?
Answer; Avoid foods that decrease the pressure in the lower esophagus
15. The first section of the small intestine is called the:
16. Digestion and absorption occur at the ________
Answer; at the mouth and end in the small intestine
17. What is the term that describes the process in which nutrients pass through the wall of the gastrointestinal tract?
18. In the absence of carbohydrate, ________ are produced from the incomplete breakdown of body fat.
19. Without sufficient ________, the colon gets too little exercise and becomes weak.
Answer; Or lack of fiber
20. Diabetes is a condition in which the body doesn’t process ________ properly.
21. After a meal, which hormone is responsible for moving glucose into the body’s cells?
22. The term complex carbohydrates refers to:
Answer; Substances made up of sugar molecules that are strung together in long and complex chains.
23. Which of the following carbohydrates is the end product of photosynthesis?
Answer; Glucose and oxygen
24. Over 16 million Americans have diabetes. Which of the following is the most prevalent form of diabetes?
Answer; Type 2
25. In the body, the major storage sites for glycogen are the:
Answer; Liver and skeletal muscles
26. All of the following are protective responses to encountering food-borne microbes EXCEPT:
Answer; vomiting and diarrhea
27. The main symptom associated with Clostridium botulinum intoxication
Answer; Weakness of the muscles in control of the face, eyes, throat and mouth
28. An estimated ________ of all chicken eggs in the U.S. are contaminated with Salmonella.
Answer; 1 in every 20,000
29. Which of the following additives gives ham, hot dogs, and bologna their pink color?
Answer; Sodium nitrite
30. Why do fungi rarely cause food infection?
-new species of fungi cause serious illness
– Fungi growth makes food look and taste unappealing