UOF ARC1720 Survey of Architecture Quiz 5
Survey of Architecture
1. The Enlightenment inspired
Answer: both rational and anti-rational responses in art and architecture
Elevate Your Writing with Our Free Writing Tools!
Did you know that we provide a free essay and speech generator, plagiarism checker, summarizer, paraphraser, and other writing tools for free?Access Free Writing Tools
2. Thomas Jefferson learned to design buildings
Answer: from books and personal observations while traveling abroad
3. According to Professor Robinsons lecture on Eighteenth Century architecture, ________ founded the French Academy in Rome, Paris Observatory, Academy of Sciencesand the Academy of Inscriptions and Medals, Architecture and Music.
Answer: Jean Baptist Colbert
4. According to Professor Robinsons lecture on Eighteenth Century architecture, the German poet, writer and philosopher ________ was very important to architecture, as he traveled Italy and France studying antiquity, producing a book called Italian Journeys.
Answer: a Body of Knowledge
5. For over fifty years, Baroque work in Rome was dominated by
6. James Gibbs’ design of St. Martin-in-the-Fields of London inspired
Answer: churches in Rhode Island, South Carolina, Vermont and Connecticut
7. According to Professor Tilson’s lecture on Baroque architecture, ________was a sculptor and architect who also wrote plays, designed theater sets and created pieces in precious metals. He was particularly adept in the use of sculptural form and light to make religious themes palpable to the observer
8. According to Professor Tilson’s lecture on Baroque architecture, one of the most theatrical practitioners of the Baroque style, ________ is said to have eliminated the corner in architecture.
9. In 1462, Pope Pius was the first to issue an official document forbidding
Answer: the destruction of antiquities in the Roman region
10. The rebuilding of St. Peter’s basilica in Rome
Answer: took over 150 years to complete and involved almost every major architect from the 16th and 17th centuries