Strayer SOC300 FINAL EXAM PART 2 latest 2018 august
FINAL EXAM PART 2
Are your assignments troubling you?
Get your troublesome papers finished by our competent writers now!Hire A Writer Now
Special offer! Get 20% discount on your first order. Promo code: SAVE20
1. According to the author of Shadow Cities, which of the following statements about Rocinha is true?
Answer: More and better services are available to Rocinha locals.
Residents in Rocinha have access to improved and expanded service options.
2. In contrasting the communities of squatters and legal residents, the author of Shadow Cities finds the squatter community to be which of the following?
B. willing to talk
D. more shrewd
3. How does Lagos dump worker Eric Obuh see his scavenging work in the dump?
A. as normal as an office job
B. as a stark reflection of his poverty
C. as an opportunity to fund his dreams
D. as a sad existence
Answer: as an opportunity to fund his dreams
4. What does the text mean by the statement “the places may have changed, but the story largely remains the same”?
A. In a lot of ways Africa is similar to India and China.
B. Poverty in the developing world has always been a fact of life.
C. Chennai and Mumbai are both in India, but have had different rates of urbanization over the years.
D. Urbanization, while significant, has been happening in different stages throughout history.
Answer: Urbanization, while significant, has been happening in different stages throughout history.
5. What is the main complaint about asfaltização by some Rocinha residents?
A. Asfaltização is destroying Rocinha’s distinctive architecture.
B. Asfaltização is hurting local businesses and traditional social networks.
C. Asfaltização has made Rocinha more dangerous.
D. Asfaltização is cutting the favela off from the outside.
Answer: Asfaltização is hurting local businesses and traditional social networks.
6. Think back to the charts in Gapminder to answer this question. Keeping in mind changes since 1980 for both men AND women, which of the following statements BEST describes the comparison between gender groups?
Answer: Both men and women have a trend of more education, resulting in a higher HDI, but in most countries men have more education than women
7.The various studies on cash transfer programs provide strong evidence for which of the following statements?
Both men and women have a trend of more education, resulting in a higher HDI, but in most countries men have more education than women
8. Which of the following is true about Mexico?
A. Mexicans were able to keep their culture due to their close proximity to their homeland
B. Mexicans held more power in some states than others
C. They had a similar religious culture
D. Mexicans were encouraged to come to the U.S to work
Answer: D. Mexicans were encouraged to come to the U.S to work
9. Which of the following is true about India?
A. It is organized administratively into 30 states and nine union
B. Nearly half of India’s labor force works in agriculture
Correct Answer: Nearly half of India’s labor force works in agriculture
10. Of the following explanations for law student enrollment in developing countries, which do the authors of Poor Economics find most likely?
Children everywhere might just want to
11. Which of the following statements summarizes Hans Roslings view on what constitutes a developing country?
In terms of economic progress, each country falls on a very long continuum of development.
12. Why do the authors of Poor Economics not care whether or not their heath recommendations are seen as paternalistic?
Correct Answer : They feel it is wrong for wealthy citizens , who reap all the benefits of a well – functioning state and society , to oppose life – saving initiatives for poor citizens on philosophical grounds .
13. How does Hans Rosling describe the health gains of Africa in the last 50 years?
Answer: as a jump from pre-medieval times to early 20th- century Europe
14. According to the text, what impact has investing in preventative health care had on health outcomes?
Answer : a uniformly positive impact Correct Answer : a uniformly positive impact
15. What did the studies of bed net recipients through the TAMTAM program reveal about usage rates and bed net cost?
A. Usage rates went down when bed nets were given out for free
B. Usage rates went down when bed nets were purchased at subsidized prices.
C. Usage rates went up when bed nets were given out for free
D. Whether or not bed nets were given out for free or purchased at subsidized prices had little effect on usage.
Answer: The TAMTAM studies showed that people used their bed nets aboutthe same amount whether they had purchased them at a subsidized price orreceived them for free.
16. In addition to utilizing new technologies and energy sources, how have wealthy nations been able to lower their emissions in recent years?
Answer: by outsourcing their emissions to developing countries Correct Answer : by outsourcing their emissions to developing countries
17. What distinction does aid critic Dambisa Moyo draw between the Marshall Plan and typical development programs?
Answer: The Marshall Plan was a reconstruction program, not a development program
18. Which of the following statements BEST development does Ivan Illich’s credit for motivating American volunteers to go to Mexico and help??
Answer: the idea that the American way of life is indisputably best and, as a result, should be shared with the rest of the world
19. According to development critic Ivan Illich, which of the following has been a result of the United States’ attempt to export “democracy”?
Answer: The power of business-friendly elites in Latin America has grown
20. What was Senator (and future President) John F. Kennedy’s challenge to American university students when he founded the Peace Corps?
to put their talents to use in areas of the world that could utilize them
21. Which of the following is a reason why it’s so difficult for poor Guatemalans like Yonada (and poor people in the developing world in general) to get a loan from a bank?
Answer: She doesn’t have any assets to put up as collateral.
22. Which of the following is a reason given by Jeffrey Sachs, the author of The End of Poverty, for the reduction in the number of children born to Bangladeshi women?
Village elders have come to demand daughters in the village have fewer children.
23. Which of the following BEST describes Rwandas postwar development program?
Answer: an acceleration in foreign investment
24. According to The End of Poverty author Jeffrey Sachs, which of the following should be a responsibility of wealthy nations?
Answer: abiding by commitments to provide adequate development assistance
25. Which of the following statements about Indias recent information technology (IT) boom is true?
Answer: IT jobs are significantly better than low – skilled industrial labor jobs or farm jobs
26. What does Chinese activist Deng Fei believe will be the result of leveraging more resources from the government and society?
Answer: Fei believes his efforts to leverage more resources from the Chinese government and populationwill help create a stronger civil society in China.
27. A recent study on malnourishment found that 12 percent of poor, rural Chinese children were what?
Answer: 2-6 inches shorter, on average, than children in urban China.
28. According to the video about the company that makes the ReadySet, what is the company’s biggest challenge?
Answer : finding a means of distribution to rural villages Correct Answer : finding a means of distribution to rural villages
29. No one speaker or article can resolve such a complicated issue as development, but Acumen CEO Jacqueline Novogratz reminds us of a few key points. Which of the following statements would she most likely agree with?
Answer : Change is possible , but will not occur overnight , and it will require a lot of informed actions by millions of people . Correct Answer : Change is possible , but will not occur overnight , and it will require a lot of informed actions by millions of people
30. Which of the following solutions is Acumen CEO Jacqueline Novogratz committed to?
Answer: establishing businesses and development programs that are sustainable and scalable
Related questions on this Lesson 10 Grammar
Other answered questions USHIST101 graded exam 2