Week 1 Phi445 Quiz
1. Which of the following statements is true about divine command theory?
A. God endorses absolute moral truths but he does not literally create them from nothing.
B. Moral standards are created by God.
C. Humans do not need to depend on God for our moral knowledge.
D. Believers are not necessarily more moral than non-believers.
Elevate Your Writing with Our Free Writing Tools!
Did you know that we provide a free essay and speech generator, plagiarism checker, summarizer, paraphraser, and other writing tools for free?Access Free Writing Tools
Answers; B. Moral standards are created by God.
2. According to philosopher John Locke, which of the following statements about human rights is true?
A. Each human has basic rights to life, health, liberty, and possessions.
B. Human rights do not stay with us during our entire life
C. What human rights you are entitled to depend on where you live.
D. Human rights are created by governments.
Answers; A. Each human has basic rights to life, health, liberty, and possessions.
3. Mrs. Takeda jumps into an icy river to save a stranger. This is an example of
B. duty theory.
Answer; C. altruism.
4. Identify the theory that believes people act only out of a self-interest.
Answer; A. Egoism
5. Which of the following ethical frameworks would support child labor if the consequences produced better overall results than the available alternatives?
C. Virtue ethics
D. Moral relativism
Answer; A. Utilitarianism
6. Limiting free speech by the government would be an example of
A. harm principle.
B. legal moralism.
C. utility principle.
D. the offense principle.
Answer; D. the offense principle.
7. Groups could not function well if members of groups were completely free to make decisions for themselves about what to do and how to act. Which of the following uses legal rules and organizational rules to keep order in groups?
B. Personal norms
C. Social contract theory
D. Duty theory
Answer; A. Self-rule
8. An example of an intrinsic value for an employee would be
A. getting a pay raise.
B. accomplishing something of real value.
C. receiving a bonus.
D. being rewarded with a gift card.
Answer; D. being rewarded with a gift card.
9. The idea that women place a high value on caring and nurturing others is the _____ theory.
A. virtue ethics
C. care ethics
Answer; C. care ethics
10. When a pharmaceutical company releases a new drug with known side effects that will help more people than the side effects will harm, this is an example of what type of ethics?
Answer; C. Utilitarian
11. According to Immanuel Kant, there is essentially one fundamental moral duty:
A. to treat people like they exist for our purposes.
B. to consider the consequence of our actions.
C. to treat another person anyway that we want.
D. to treat all people as ends in themselves.
Answer; D. to treat all people as ends in themselves.
12. Which of the following would be an immoral act but not usually considered an illegal act?
A. Stealing from an employer
B. Lying on the witness stand
C. Driving over the speed limit
D. Cheating on an exam
Answer; D. Cheating on an exam
13. Which of the following ethical frameworks explains that our decisions should be based on the overall consequences of our acts?
A. Virtue ethics
B. Social contract theory
C. Duty theory
Answer; D. Utilitarianism