How to Write a Double-Spaced Essay and Score an A for it
What is a Double-Spaced Essay?
A double-spaced essay is an essay where you separate the lines by one inch around the article with no extra space between the paragraphs. A double-spaced essay should be on a standard-sized (8.5”x 11”) paper with an inch margin around the document.
Are your assignments troubling you?
Get your troublesome papers finished by our competent writers now!Hire A Writer Now
Special offer! Get 20% discount on your first order. Promo code: SAVE20
A double-spaced paper has 275 or 300 words per page, depending on the typeface. Here is an example of a 2 paragraph double spaced essay.
Double-Spaced Essay Format
It is essential to know how to format your document after writing. No matter the size of the paper, it is always possible to double space, but you should know how the program you have written your documents works. The most common programs students use are Word (Mac version) and Microsoft word.
For the Microsoft word
- You need to highlight the text.
- Open the page layout function at the top.
- In the paragraph section, find a small black arrow on the lower left side
- Click on the arrow to open a new window
- Then open the “intervals and indents” function; if not opened.
- Select the “line spacing,” which is on the double list section
- Click “Ok” to effect and save the changes
For Word (Mac Version), the instructions are as follows:
- Highlight all text or selected lines
- Click the inspector on the upper right corner (blue button)
- A new window will open
- Find a section called “Text” (labeled with a big “T”)
- Click on the interval section
- Enter 2 for double spacing on the right side of the selection bar
- Click “Ok” to save the changes
How to Set Double-Spacing on Your Computer
You can double-space all or part of a word document. Alternatively, some prefer to edit the document to spacing and format after writing, while others prefer keeping everything organized from the beginning, which means you write with double spacing from the start.
The following are double spacing steps on Word (Mac version) or MS Word Processor.
Documents on Mac Version
Use the following steps to double-space your document if you use the word mac version to process your pages.
- To double-space a specific text, highlight the text.
- Then click a blue button (inspector) on the right of your window.
- Select the “T” or Text tab in the new window that pops up
- Go to the section named spacing and write 2 into the box of the slide bar to the right.
On MS Word Processor
Follow the following space to double-space if you use a word document to write your essay.
1. Highlight the text you want to double space
2. Go to the paragraph section under the home tab, and on the bottom left corner, click the small arrow.
3. There will pop up a new window with different settings, including; spacing, identification, and general.
4. Click on the drop-down arrow on the line spacing
5. From the list, choose “double.”
6. Click on the box “Don’t add space between paragraphs of the same style.”
7. Press OK to save and effect the changes.
All Microsoft word processing versions use more or less the same steps when double spacing.
If you want to use the double spacing from the beginning when writing, you can adjust the line spacing on your Microsoft word processor toolbar.
- Go to the paragraph section on the home tab and find the line and paragraph spacing button.
- Click on the button to find more options
- Select 2.0 for double spacing
- Click OK to save the changes and double-space your document.
Double spacing vs. Other Types of Spacing for Essays
You can space your school assignment using three types of spacing: single, 1.5, and double spacing. You should know the spacing type required when writing your school dissertation, research paper, annotated bibliography, report, or essay.
- Double Spaced Document or Paper
It is the most common type of spacing which involves selecting 2.0 spaces between paragraph lines without any other spaces between paragraphs. Most college assignments, theses, and dissertations are double-spaced.
- 1.5 Spaced Document or Essay
A 1.5-spaced paper has sentences or lines in a paragraph spaced from each other using 1.5 mm space and has no spaces between paragraphs.
- Single Spaced Document
Single spacing is typing that does not leave lines blank. A single-spaced document has a space of 1.0 between the lines in a paragraph, which creates little room for feedback, remarks, and comments. You should use single spacing only when the requirement says so.
However, whether your essay is on Mac or a word document, you can change the spacing of your paper to different spacing styles any time you need.
Pages vs. Spacing Chart
Below is a table that compares the number of pages and words to different spacing styles.
500 Word Example of a Double-Spaced Essay
There are many samples of double-spaced essays on the internet that will enable you to understand these essay types. Most of these samples have picture evidence, a format that helps your understanding. The double-spacing form is used mainly by book authors when sending a text to the publisher to allow enough spacing for error correction by the editors. The extra space allows the editor to make comments or remarks.
Also, students can use double spacing when writing their draft essays as it gives spaces for supervisors or teachers to comment and make remarks before a student can draft the final copy. For example, a student can use a double-spacing format for scientific text, which gives extra space to highlight any grammatical errors or minor flaws that need to be corrected.
Get a quality plagiarism free 500 words essay by using our AI powered essay generator.
Benefits of Double Spacing in Essays
The following are the advantages of using double spaces in your thesis.
- Creates space for crucial notes
Sometimes you may want to include important notes when taking an exam or writing an essay, but the notes cannot fit in your document body without making it look unprofessional. But with a double-spaced essay, there is enough space at the end of each paragraph where you can write end notes or footnotes without disturbing the flow of the reading.
- It makes your essay easy to read
A double-spaced essay means there are few words in a line. This makes it easy to read since you will not have to often move your eyes from one end of the page to the other. There are no line breaks in double-spaced lines to distract you from the flow of ideas, and it is easy to skim through the sentences.
- Help emphasize important points
It may be challenging to notice when you have repeated a phrase or word using single spacing, making the content look repetitive. However, double spacing creates more spaces between repeated texts and phrases such that they stand out more prominently.
- Reduces typos
Double-spaced punction marks such as commas and full stops are more visible than when single-spaced. It lets the reader know where a sentence starts or ends without rereading previous phrases or sentences. It is more crucial, especially if the reader is learning English, as they will see where there are commas and where sentences end, and also easy for proofreaders.
- It makes your writing look professional
Most readers want a document that is convenient and easy to read within a short period. Your writing skills should look professional and impress the reader at first glance. You can achieve this by double spacing, as it makes the document easy to read and creates an impression of professionalism.
Explore an example of a double spaced essay about how to tame a Wild Tongue – summary and response.
Need More Help with Double-Spaced Essay Writing?
Students often face time constraints in balancing academic and life activities. If you are in this category, you can seek assistance from Gudwriter, and you will have your double-spaced essay written within the shortest time possible. We have a team of seasoned writers experienced in different subjects to craft your essay.
Your work quality is our top priority, and that’s why we have professionals with the necessary education to handle our client’s questions. Whether it is an admission essay term papers, scientific projects, or any double-sapced essay, we will craft your essay from the beginning to the end. Simply reach out to our admission essay service and submit your essay requirements and expect a quality paper.
Our expert writer will handle your projects as you focus on other vital things. We customize your essay and make any edits required until you are satisfied. Our prices are reasonable, and we never compromise on the quality and deadlines of your work.
Special offer! Get 20% discount on your first order. Promo code: SAVE20